|Back to Jobs Page|
|Company||California State University, Chico - Chico, CA|
|Position||Institutional Repository Assistant Librarian|
The Position: One full-time tenure-track librarian.
The Meriam Library is seeking a tenure-track Assistant Librarian appointment to make a significant contribution to the library and to the teaching and learning environment at CSU, Chico by leading the implementation of the CSU Scholarworks Institutional Repository platform on campus. Working closely with the Special Collections and University Archives staff, the Institutional Repository Librarian will establish the IR and develop and maintain IR policies, procedures, and other necessary documentation. Working collaboratively with the Research, Instruction and Outreach Department the IR Librarian will also provide a range of liaison duties in support of the Meriam Library, its mission and strategic goals.
The successful candidate will:
• Engage with colleges, departments, and administrative units to determine the scope of a newly implemented institutional repository (IR) serving a campus community of 17,000 students, more than 950 faculty, and over 1,000 staff.
• Promote the IR to the campus community and proactively recruit appropriate and sustainable content for deposit.
• Work with student, staff, and faculty organizations to include underrepresented groups and viewpoints in the University Archives and repository.
• Coordinate and provide training in support of the IR and scholarly communication on campus.
• Work with the California State University Institutional Repository working group to develop the structure, standards, and procedures for implementing the IR platform (Fedora-Samvera/Hydra) at CSU Chico.
• Develop the taxonomy and authorities for the Institutional Repository.
• Develop and implement appropriate metadata standards for the description of IR material.
• Establish and maintain IR policies, procedures, and other necessary documentation in consultation with colleagues within the library and across campus.
• Serve as the library contact for the deposit of electronic theses and research projects into the IR.
• Appraise, arrange, and describe historical university archives collections.
• Support the Special Collections and University Archives unit by participating in reference, instruction, and outreach activities.
• Perform liaison duties, in subject areas to be determined, including information literacy instruction, collection development, and research consultation.
• Meet University requirements for tenure and promotion. Visit the webpage for more information.
Minimum Education and Experience
• A Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
• Experience working with an institutional repository or digital collections platform such as ContentDM, DSpace, or Islandora.
• Working knowledge of cataloging standards (e.g., MARC, Dublin Core, MODS, DACS).
• Experience in archival arrangement and description.
• Familiarity with digital preservation issues.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• Ability to effectively participate in the library’s liaison program in the areas of research consultation, instruction, and outreach.
• Experience working with multiple stakeholders to carry out complex projects.
• A positive attitude and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• The ability to work effectively and collegially with a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff.
• Ability to support and enhance a diverse learning and working environment.
Additional Requirements and Responsibilities for this position
• The incumbent will hold the rank of Sr. Assistant Librarian. Librarians in the California State University have full faculty status and are represented by the California Faculty Association. Faculty retention, tenure and promotion are based on demonstrated achievement in librarianship, professional development, and contributions and service to the profession, university, and community.
• 2-3 years’ experience working with archival collections and/or institutional records.
• Experience with ArchivesSpace or other collection management system such as Archivists Toolkit.
• Familiarity with university organization.
• Knowledge of emerging library technologies and trends.
• Prior success in managing projects and effectively balancing competing priorities and deadlines.
• Demonstrated success in cultivating and developing relationships with academic units and faculty.
• Experience with a library management system. The Meriam Library uses Ex Libris ALMA.
• Experience with teaching and learning in an academic library.
Contact & Special Recruitment Information
Job-related questions should be directed to:
George Thompson, Hiring Committee Chair
California State University, Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0295
Submit questions about your application packet to: Laurie Ratterree
Phone: 530 898-5953
The incumbents will hold the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Librarians in the California State University have full faculty status and are represented by the California Faculty Association. Faculty retention, tenure and promotion are based on demonstrated achievement in librarianship, professional development and contributions, and service to the profession, university and community.
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University, Hiring Department and Community
The Meriam Library supports a comprehensive university curriculum at the Master’s degree level and emphasizes active engagement and outreach with faculty and students. The Library is a unit of Academic Affairs. Further information about the Meriam Library is available on our website
Detailed information about the University is available here . As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment. We also welcome those who share a passion and commitment to the University’s 6th Strategic Priority that focuses on sustainability, stewardship, and the environment.
California State University, Chico is committed to achieving excellence through diversity in the classroom and the workplace. It strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students, faculty, and staff.
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.