|Back to Jobs Page|
|Company||Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Eypt|
|Position||Head of the Libraries Sector|
To plan and monitor all the tasks and duties that ensure the pertinent and smooth flow of work in the Libraries Sector, through the supervision of the affiliate departments, which comprise the Main Library; the Specialized Libraries for children, young people, arts and multimedia, and the visually impaired. This includes the technical activities of the libraries; such as classification, cataloguing, bibliographical registration, stacking of references, and management of the electronic databases for the different information sources, in addition to the programs, activities, festivities, and workshops that are offered to the public, specialists and scholars. The holder of this position will also be responsible for managing the external relations of the Libraries Sector and the development of international relations and agreements with the institutions and entities working in this field, aiming to stimulate the activities of the BA, uphold its status and highlight its role at the local, regional and international levels.
1. Participating in the formulation of the strategic plans and objectives of the BA, and accordingly the formulation of the strategic plans and objectives of the Libraries Sector and the affiliate departments, in a manner that guarantees the excellent performance of activities throughout all affiliate departments.
2. Establishing the strategic perceptions of the services offered to the patrons of the Main Library; the Specialized Libraries for children, young people, arts and multimedia, and the visually impaired; including the programs, and activities, offered which comprise reading, educational courses, seminars, festivities, workshops, competitions, film screenings, summer programs, field visits to schools and societies, and the other different programs offered by the Library Sector, which will be supervised by the holder of this position in a manner befitting the leadership of the BA.
3. Establishing the rules and regulations that guarantee the proper technical performance of the different BA libraries, including classification; cataloguing; data entry for the different information sources such as books, periodicals, multimedia and theses; book stacking in open and closed stacks; databases for bibliographies and references; in addition to monitoring the establishment of the Metadata for digitized materials and all database updating processes.
4. Establishing and strategically supervising the implementation of the systems for tracking the contents of the available and new electronic databases at the BA, usage rates by the BA public, and all other tasks related to the development of acquisitions, in order to achieve integration between printed and electronic acquisitions, and provide the best informatics services possible to the BA public and specialized scholars.
5. Developing formulas and opening communication channels with other concerned entities at local, regional and international levels, to open communication channels between the BA and the Arab and international societies, the effective participation of the BA in the biggest international libraries and information networks, and communication with the best experts and specialists in this field in a manner befitting the leadership and significance of the BA.
Not less than twenty (20) years of experience in the field of libraries, including a minimum of three (3) years in leadership positions.
A Masters’ degree in the field of specialization. A PhD is preferable.
In command of computer programs and applications in the area of specialization.
In command of Arabic and English. A second foreign language is an asset.
Age must not exceed 57 years when applying for the position.
University professors and academics may continue their academic duties at the university, while allocating the time required to fully carry out their duties at the BA.
Management of internal work and proficient and effective cooperation with the concerned local and international entities.
Ability to build and maintain cooperation with the different entities.
Development and preparation of work programs to achieve the strategic objectives of the Sector, and the ability to follow-up on their implementation according to work schedule.
Ability to deal with all levels of employees in a manner that allows for a good working environment, in addition to the ability to form homogenous work groups and teams.
Possession of exceptional leadership, communication and problem-solving skills.
Duration of Contract: Four (4) years, renewable in accordance with the BA Statutes