|Back to Jobs Page|
|Company||University of the Pacific - Stockton, CA|
|Position||Associate University Librarian|
|The Associate University Librarian will work collaboratively with library research, student success, faculty development, instructional design, technology innovation, and technology support professionals to co-create a holistic user-centered ecosystem for the Stockton Campus Library. Within the library organization, s/he will develop and align library programs and services, to ensure operational effectiveness and continuous improvement.
New service models will directly support First Year Experience and Academic Student Support initiatives, led by the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Experience. For instance, in the Academic Student Support Hub, library subject specialists will work with academic support partners with writing, tutoring, and teaching expertise to foster student resilience.
In consultation with the University Librarian, the Associate University Librarian will supervise the heads of four teams, in access, technical, collection, and educational services, with a total of 19 employees. S/he will also work consultatively with the Assistant Dean for Library Services at the McGeorge Law School [who serves as Associate University Librarian at the Sacramento Campus Library] to further 3-city initiatives, policies, practices, and workflows and thereby ensure consistent, efficient, and effective user experience. With the University Librarian, Associate University Librarians are responsible for framing three-city conversations about University Libraries, within a dynamic information landscape and an evolving higher education environment.
1. Advance planning, implementation, and evaluation processes for Academic Student Success Hub in the Stockton Campus Library, with focus on establishing boundary crossing relationships and high impact collaborations among academic support providers with research, writing, tutoring, and teaching expertise.
2. Supervise access, collections, and technical services teams, with four direct reports, thirteen indirect reports, and thirty student workers, who office in the Stockton Campus Library and Rite Aid Information Commons.
3. Ensure iterative review of collection resources, including renewals, trials, and cancellations, as well as demand-driven pilots, to guarantee best return on investment for $2M resources budget.
4. Extend involvement of University Libraries faculty and staff in technology-enabled knowledge creation, through collaboration with and training by Director of Library Technology and Digital Initiatives.
5. Further development of Sacramento Campus Library services and resources, through collaboration with Assistant Dean for Library Services at the McGeorge Law School, who serves as Associate University Librarian at the Sacramento Campus Library.
6. Advance extraordinary student and undergraduate experience across three cities through innovative thought leadership within the library organization and beyond, through student life and academic support partnerships.
7. Coordinate annual collection and reporting of library data to external agencies, including the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (iPEDS).
• Master’s degree from American Library Association accredited program in Library and Information Science
• Demonstrated previous success as an Assistant/Associate University Librarian or Assistant/Associate Library Dean
Skills/Knowledge and Expertise:
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a complex higher education institution
Strong commitment to advancing diversity through collections, programs, and instruction.
• Previous experience with university strategic planning and/or project management.
• Proven ability to recruit, supervise, coach, and retain diverse faculty and staff members
Previous experience fostering cross unit collaborations, including co-creating shared vision.
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional standing, walking (or “walking across campus,” if applicable), climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Hiring Range Commensurate with experience, full-time, exempt
Background Check Statement
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check
AA/EEO Policy Statement
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* Do you have a Master's degree from an American Library Association accredited program in Library and Information Science?
* Have you ever worked in Higher Education?
* Describe your working knowledge of higher education academic library trends.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe previous successes with cross-team initiatives.
(Open Ended Question)
* Describe both your leadership and management styles.
(Open Ended Question)
* How did you first learn about this employment opportunity?
University of the Pacific Website
Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U)
Chronicle of HIgher Education
Diverse Issues in Higher Education
Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
Higher Education Recruitment Consortium - Northern California (NorCal HERC)
Professional or Association Listserv
Publication or website from a professional organization
San Francisco Chronicle
Other Online Job Board
Cover Letter/Letter of Application