|Back to Jobs Page|
|Company||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences - Los Angeles, CA|
|Position||Library Assistant (Part-Time)|
The Library Assistant supports the daily activities of the Reference and Public Services department and works on a variety of complex tasks and projects for other departments as assigned.
Reports to: Public Services Supervisor
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist library patrons at the Service, Special Collections and Orientation desks
• Provide retrieval and photocopying services for library users
• Train patrons in the use and handling of library materials and library equipment (i.e., e-readers, audio equipment, microfiche/microfilm readers)
• Maintain knowledge of the classification systems for Core Collection materials, and undertake clipping and indexing assignments as directed
• Fully understand reproduction policies for all types of materials and exercise judgment with regard to handling rare and fragile library materials
• Undertake specialized assignments for the Technical Services Department and Core Collection Reference Files, and other departments as necessary
Position Requirements • Bachelor's degree from an accredited university, preferably in film studies or related discipline
• Preference given to recent graduates of, or students enrolled in, an ALA-accredited MLIS program
• Knowledge of film history and familiarity with print and online film research resources desirable
• Experience with basic software systems, including Microsoft Office; working knowledge of library software and databases preferred
• Must be available to work Tuesday evenings and Saturdays as required
• Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Strong service orientation and professional demeanor
• Ability to work effectively with colleagues, administrators and patrons
• Meticulous attention to detail, strong organizational skills and ability to balance multiple projects
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, in a sometimes stressful environment
• Flexibility with regard to work assignments, as priorities and projects can change suddenly
• Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality
Physical Demands of the role
• Kneeling, bending or stooping to access filed materials, and ascending and descending stairways. Ability to lift boxes up to 25 lbs. may be required.
Position: Library Assistant (Part-Time)
Open Date: 11/1/2017
Location: Beverly Hills
About the Organization The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a global community of more than 7,000 of the most accomplished artists, filmmakers and executives working in film. In addition to celebrating and recognizing excellence in filmmaking through the Oscars, the Academy supports a wide range of initiatives to promote the art and science of the movies, including public programming, educational outreach and the upcoming Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, which is under construction in Los Angeles.
EOE Statement The Academy is committed to equal opportunity in employment and to creating, managing and valuing diversity in its workforce. Maintaining a diverse workforce is vital to the Academy. Accordingly, the Academy enforces a strict policy that prohibits discrimination in hiring, training, compensation, promotion, transfer, or termination, whether on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or genetic information. This includes a workplace that is free of all forms of harassment. And, to help foster diversity, the Academy utilizes programs that ensure fairness of opportunity, pay, and growth to all applicants and employees. Every employee of the Academy is required to follow this policy and to preserve the Academy's commitment to diversity.